Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Monday, June 23, 2014

"One minute at a time. Not even one day...one minute."



Those wise and priceless words are courtesy of a dear friend and fellow writer, Kathleen Y'Barbo Turner.

Why?

I asked her how to do something.

How do deal with my son leaving.

He got a call Thursday afternoon to report to "Depot" (deh-poh) in Regina, Saskatchewan, to begin six months of training to become one of Canada's finest. A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer.



Back story...

He began the very grueling application process18 months ago. Very few who apply are accepted. And for a twenty year old? Acceptance is a rarity.    

But our son, Chris, is leaving in 2 hours, and by December, he will be a police officer.

He'll come home for Christmas, then be posted somewhere in Canada.

We had no definitive word that he was accepted, but we kind of knew he would be, since all his tests and interviews went so well.

But when I got home Thursday, there was a message on our answering machine for him to call the RCMP, and the woman sounding really happy. So he called them back, and BAM! He was IN!!!

Having 4 days notice sure made our lives a whirlwind, since my husband was in Colorado at a conference! I emailed him, and called his hotel and left a message.

And waited. 

And called my parents.

And waited.

And called my brother.

Annnnd waited!

Finally, at 12:35am, I got an email and immediately called him!

Yes, we're over the moon with pride. Yes, we're excited. Yes, he's thrilled.

This is a huge deal.

But...this whole "kid  leaving the nest" thing?




It's for the birds.


Because birds can fly, and rise above this rare mix of pride and pain.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so excited for you all! But I know how painful that must feel. Bittersweet. My girls are nearly grown ... and I'm already feeling the pain. But, yet, it's exciting! Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete