Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Monday, March 31, 2014

Belief and faith. Oh, and bad drivers.



I know this really awesome, nice looking guy (my husband) who works in the scientific research field. He's a forestry scientist and he is kinda smart. He also enjoys a good debate or two.
Quite a few scientists define themselves as atheists, or people who do not believe in a higher being, or deity.

Notice, I did not say they do not have faith.
  
To my mind, anyone who has trust in something, has faith.
I have faith in gravity, that the sun will rise in the morning and that one day, I will see Spring.

Wait just a second!!!

THAT faith is being tested! It's March 31st, and as I write this, my husband and 2 older sons are digging our driveway and front walkway out from yet another ice storm. In preparation for another snow storm. WAHHHH!!!

Ahem, sorry. what was I saying? Oh, right, faith.

Many people say they're "spiritual beings". Okay.
Many people say "I believe in a higher power, just not God."
And some people say they only believe in what they can see and feel.

Okay.

But let ask me them , and you, this...

If I can't see a yellow line down the middle of the road, but I know there's supposed to be two lanes, what makes me keep driving? What keeps me from refusing to leave my driveway?
Why do I risk my life driving thousands of pounds of steel, rubber, electronics and fuel down a road if there is no visible line???



Author photo.


Faith.

Pure and simple.

Faith that the other people who are doing the same thing as I am, believe the same thing as I do.

"I'll stay on my side, you stay on yours."

Trust.  Belief.  Faith.

Trust that the logical process of abiding by the appropriate standards will be met. Belief that the other drivers can actually drive. Faith that I don't need to see the line to know it is there.


Yes, that is entirely simplistic. But think about it now, in terms of the Christian faith...NOT the set of rules handed down by overly pious and hypocritical people who leave tracts instead of tips, or who rage at someone for wearing a tattoo, yet they wear more make-up than 4 super models.

A living, healthy faith should not make us judgmental, but seekers of justice. It should not give us the right to point our fingers at the wrongs of others, but wrap our hands around the hurts of those who need us.
And we should be known by our love, not our loud condemnations.

We should never have to use words to proclaim our belief in Jesus, but hopefully, those around us should be speechless at the obvious love we have for them and wonder why we're so different.


Like my friend Ian.  
 
And his friend Willian. Yes, with an N.

7 comments:

  1. Well-said!

    Christianity is nowhere damaged more than by the intolerant and the didactic. It is they who would separate God from the possibility of His extended grace, and place themselves in the seat of judgement.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/03/marriage-and-loyalty.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Jennifer.

    I especially loved this: "A living, healthy faith should not make us judgmental, but seekers of justice. It should not give us the right to point our fingers at the wrongs of others, but wrap our hands around the hurts of those who need us.
    And we should be known by our love, not our loud condemnations."

    Very true. Let's focus on living out our relationship with God rather than focusing on what others may, or may not being doing. Seek Jesus rather than tell others how we think they should seek Him.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I find the LESS I preach, and the more I live as honestly as I can, the better example of Jesus I turn out to be.

      Delete
  3. Amen! Let's love people, really LOVE people, and leave condemnation for the self-righteous Pharisees. ;-) I think that's where a lot of people mess up--they confuse telling the truth in love as "I'm-better-than-thou" judgement, which in turn, makes them shy away from speaking Truth altogether. Great thoughts, my friend. Great thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!!
    I think the self-righteous need to scrub a few toilets and learn some humility!

    ReplyDelete